Sunday, September 20, 2009

Traveller - Roswell in Reverse

I've finally gotten around to replacing my original GDW Traveller little black books, today winning the last book I'd needed - the original Book Zero for $1.04 on eBay. I'm not sure how much I'll want to play just yet but I've been really looking forward to reading the books again (love that d6).

An idea for a campaign or adventure I had for Traveller recently was based on having to patrol an Earth-like planet at close to our current level of development but just about to develop intersteller travel capability. The general idea is that there's an alien species with whom we haven't had contact, but we've been watching their development and for legal and ethical reasons haven't made them aware of ourselves in order to be able to better to objectively study them as well as allow them to sort of self-actualize as a species.

Complicating this are other, less ethically inclined species that have no compunction about dealing with less technologically developed civilizations with their own self-interests in mind, as well as the less than admirable, profit-driven and other factions of our own. Could be fun to throw a type of Roswell in Reverse incident into the mix, where our guys crash and get discovered.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

FWIW I love Book 0. I recently re-read it and have been meaning to do a big post on it, but haven't got around to it. It's still sitting by the computer waiting for me.

Post a Comment