Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Game Play Journal Update

Even now, four or five sessions into this campaign, I’m not afraid to admit that I’m still more than a little bit rusty DM’ing. I’m improving and more comfortable, but one of the things I’m remembering as Nick and I continue his party’s adventures is that I’m much more interested in playing my own created dungeon/scenarios than one written by someone else. There are a number of reasons for this, but the first of which is that just by intimately knowing the contents of the dungeon, there will be better flow and role playing. Even though I’m not the best DM or dungeon creator, I’m sure I’ll be a better one just by knowing the map and its contents better in this way. There are plenty of excellent, epic modules published out there, and I look forward to playing a lot of them, but I don’t think you can beat homebrew for the sheer joy of sharing your creation and being comfortable with it - and there’s a built-in incentive to really excel when it’s your own work your sharing, versus someone else’s creation. Nothing new or shocking here, but that’s what I’ve been processing lately.

Which isn’t to say we’re not enjoying ourselves - the green slime encounter tonight (resulting in the death of a hireling and main party member) was a fun highlight. And somehow there just wasn’t enough light to go around, so talk began (the thief’s suggestion?) of fashioning a makeshift torch from a femur bone, some rags they found, and some pitch they’d brought along. Nothing like the smell of your fallen comrade’s burnt and slime dissolved remains to make the old clockwork orange start tickin’ a little faster.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree about it being far more enjoyable to ref a homebrew adventure than something like a module or someone else's creation.

Post a Comment