Friday, August 6, 2010

Battlemat for iPad

I don't have an iPad but I thought this was an interesting development - Razeware has released a virtual tabletop for the iPad via the iTunes app store for the iPad. It doesn't look half bad. I like the ability to hook it up to an external display... for now I'll have to leave it to Tenkar to review. :)

I've been thinking a lot about the old Metagaming / Steve Jackson/ TSR and Mayfair microgames lately and how they'd probably transfer nicely and relatively easily to the iPad format. Hell, they might even retain their original prices of just a few bucks a piece. I loved those products as a kid - war games for a comic book budget!

I have a hard time believing Razeware will sell a lot of downloads with a $30 price tag but who knows? More info. and screenshots here.

3 comments:

Tenkar said...

Damn! Sounds cool. I'll have to check it out ;)

drnuncheon said...

There's also RPG Cartographer, but the one review I have seen (from VSCA's @BradJMurray) has not been promising.

redbeard said...

I've used Maptool (free) with a projector beneath a glass table. I don't do that for my current campaign, though I might again in the future.

I really liked the idea of pretty maps, and Maptool's lighting and vision capabilities were great. As the players moved, maptool only displayed what part of the map was in their torchlight, or dark vision, etc.

I think the ipad would be too small to really be of use.

Post a Comment