Saturday, January 16, 2010

A Haiku from Haiku

I haven't taken a decent vacation trip anywhere in many years, and my wife surprised me with a trip to Maui for my 40th birthday this year. At one point there, we found ourselves driving through the small town of Haiku and as dorky as it was, we couldn't resist stopping off at the local post office, buying some generic postcards, and quickly composing haikus to mail to ourselves back in Oregon... mine went:

A far away place -
Reprieve from dungeon and dark...
The elf awakens.

I would have preferred to follow the form laid down by M. Battleaxe (with the theme of monsters being favored) but that was all I could come up with on the spur of the moment. Good to be back, I see the Dungeon Alphabet arrived in my absence - I'll add to the chorus and say it's a great looking book and surely a bargain even though I haven't yet had the chance to really read through it yet.

2 comments:

Rusty said...

Truly appropriate to the time and location. Great to hear that you had a much needed trip.

The pic is great, by the way. I would have happily tagged along as your haiku consultant.

Don Snabulus said...

You two deserved to get away for a while. Changing the pace is good for the mind and body. Welcome back. (Ladybug's dad just retired after 50+ years at the Post Office. We have a lot of pictures just like yours for that reason.)

Post a Comment