Saturday, September 19, 2015

Augmented Reality Sandbox

I recently received a call from an outdoor education school looking for help in creating an "augmented reality sandbox"... Now that was a voicemail that got my attention!  I ended up having to leave a message on their end and may have turned them off after saying I'd be happy to help if they didn't mind having it done in linux rather than OS X (as they wanted) for technical reasons. I'm guessing that they gave up on it or went elsewhere, I should probably try them back at some point (maybe they just don't know they can run linux on their Macs).

Poking around a bunch on the UC Davis site they'd cited as inspiration, I found myself wanting to build this thing for my own purposes, which would involve trying to recreate old TSR module landscapes a la my B2 Sketchup exercise, only maybe this time I'd be able to plop minis right down into the scene if I could get the scale right. I haven't researched this - I imagine a ton of table top wargamers are way ahead of me..? Mind you I reckon this would run a couple thousand dollars and take a lot more spare time than I have to put together. I really should call those folks back, huh?

East Carolina University's Geology department has a nice video of one of these sandboxes up and running.

4 comments:

christian said...

Happy new year, my friend!

Naresh M said...

your Blog is so nice and updates are really so genuine thank you for bank job latest updates 2016

Hisel Power said...

nd myself wanting to build this thing for my own purposes
hybrid solar inverter in pakistan


inverters in pakistan

DevDigs said...

very nice blog and interesting,augmented reality sandbox I want to konow more about this.dallas seo consultant

Post a Comment